Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Netbook

Back in October 2009 my son got a Acer Aspire Netbook. At that time I personally couldn't see what the appeal would be to get one of these, but for him it was the perfect first computer. It basically has the same amout of computing power as my Dell D400. My D400 is one of the smaller laptop computers with a full keyboard. My concern with this smaller computer would be could I type on it if I was using it or would my hands be to big for the keyboard and would this make the computer useless to me.

The first opportunity for me to use his computer came one night at Mc Donalds. He wanted to take it in and try it out as he had never had it connected to the internet. At that time Mc Donalds charged $2.99 for two hours of access (as of January 15th unlimited access is now free) to the internet. I spring for the $2.99 and in a few minutes we were connected.


While he and his sister played in the play area I tried this smaller and lighter computer out and low and behold I could type on the keyboard and use it just like my D400. My son recently wanted me to connect it up and take it on one of our railfan outings and I was highly impressed by how it performed. After we figured out how to make the screen brighter it worked out great.


The Acer Aspire uses a Atom N270 processor running at 1.6 ghz. My Dell D400 is about 1.4 ghz. The Aspire has 1 gb of memory and 512kb cach memory. It also has a 160 GB hard drive. The whole thing only weights 2.44 pounds. The down is no CD or floppy drive as that must be purchased seperately. His mom managed to get this computer for him for a mear $249 plus tax. I happened to have a spare external CD burner that I let him have to use with this that I bought back in 2002. All in all I am quite impressed with how well this computer operates and how light it is. When I decided to replace my current laptop I may just get one of these plus an external cd burner. I am a Dell man my self and I will be looking to see what they have.







3 comments:

ida said...

i had a giggle about you being a dell man yourself. llol... i am hooked onto whatever is the cheepest with the most gigs. current walmart has a computer that is in the high 300's. if we picked up another computer i would go that route. i think all computers will eventually get as small as your sons.

Sheila said...

I want one of these really really badly.. lol

Ritchie said...

Ida, I recommend buying a computer with the most hard drive and memory that you can afford. If do a lot of stuff with graphics then also consider getting an upgraded graphics card with memory installed on the card as well.

I have considered the Netbook since my son's is really neat and light weight. I might also look a the Apple ipad (hopefully there is a PC verson of this soon). I personally think a tablet pc would ge kind of cool.