Thursday, March 24, 2011

Emachies E725 Update

About one year ago this month I decided to buy an Emachines E725 laptop computer.  I swore I would never buy an Emachines because of the fact I have heard they are of low quality.  Well, I had my first failure around the first of this year.  The hard drive went out.  I replaced the hard drive with a new 500gb segate drive.  The laptop had a 250 gig Western digital drive and I had another Western Digital drive go bad so I thought I would try a Segate drive instead.  For the last couple of months the laptop has worked well.  Today I believe this laptop has suffered a mother board failure for no apparent reason.  The last time I used it (yesterday) it was working fine and there were no indications that the new hard drive was having problems.  Today when I tried to start this up I get the following set of messages:


1) Check Cable Connection...!
2) PXE-E63:   Error while initializing the NIC
3) PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key.

I am at this point going to remove the 500gb hard drive and sell the computer for parts unless someone has a suggestion on how to fix this.  I will research this error on line, but I believe this computer has suffered a mother board failure at about one year of age.  My recommendation is to stay away from the Emachine brand computers.  I am going to get a Dell as soon as I can afford one.

2 comments:

Ritchie said...

After doing some research on this problem I have found that the hard drive for what ever the reason had become loose. I took it out and put it back in and the computer is now working! Strange error message for a hard drive problem. The drive it's self is fine and I am typing this comment from the laptop.

ida said...

that was strange. but, get this. we had a computer that got a virus. ok. so i went and bought another laptop when i couldnt get the virus out of the other computer. needed a new one for her school. never the less this compter lays around for almost a year. unused. infact i was thinking the only good thing would be to have it as a backup dvd player. so one day her portable dvd player goes down. and we throw it out. she grabs the computer. and boom its asking her if she wants to upgrade to windows 7. she says yes and next thing you know we have a nice 2nd computer. lol i really dont know how all that came about but it did.