Sunday, June 20, 2010

Relationships - To date or not to date that is the question

To date or not to date that is the question. After fifteen years fo marriage and three years of being single I am back to this question. I believe if someone finds the right person the relationship could be great. I understand that it will have its challenging moments, but all in all each party will be thankful that they have found each other. The problem is most people have a fairy tale idea of what their life should be like in a relationship or they are looking for perfection. People are not perfect by no means and we all have our faults. No man or woman will ever be perfect. You also have those people who base the relationship on things that maybe they matter, but they shouldn't be the most imporant part of the relationship.


For me a good relationship has trust. Without trusting each other there is no relationship at all. People we are firends with we trust. Ultimately you need to trust this person more than you do your other friends. You need to trust this person expicitly and need to be able to talk with them about anything. You should know your partner better than anyone. And yes, commuication with your partner is very important. The relationship is a partnership with neither party controlling the other. I think each party needs to put their partner first. No one should be selfish or self centered. There needs to be complete honesty in the relationship with no lies. There needs to be mutual respect for each other opinion, feelings, and health both mental and physical. Both parties need to be faithful to each other. And ladies being paranoid about us finding someone else will just drives us crazy. I used to say I was married not blind. However, blind and not married might have been preferable. I was faithful to the person I was with and my marriage vow. I saw things thing and still see things now. I saw it and that was just it. Real men chose their women for reasons and we chose to be with you for reasons. Both parties need to be caring and show how they feel about each other with out saying it. And no, I am not talking about sex here. What I am talking about goes back to the respect issue. If your partner is tired, sleepy, or not feeling well. For Gods sake let them rest and get well. Be willing to take care of them if need. At that moment put their needs first. I personally don't want to argue a lot and want to be comfortable when I am home. I don't want to have to dread coming home because this other person is there. Good relationships are full of give and take. For me I would love it if the person would go out and train chase with me from time to time just because they enjoy being with me. Mabye it isn't their thing, but because they respect my interests they are just happy being there with me. I know when I was married I did a lot of things because my partner wanted to. I could have cared less about doing them or being there or watching what ever it was that was on TV. Maybe I am just delusional. Hopefully all of this just means I have figured out what I want out of life and a relationship if I ever choose to go for it again.


Now, I haven't mentioned what I think this person would look like. I have no preconceived notion of what they would look like. I think people put too much stock in what someone looks like and to much value on that. I do believe we need to keep ourselves well groomed and look as good as we can. However, I don't have a lot to work with and if a person is looking what they can see and saying he isn't the man for me then they are way to shallow for me. I don't want to know them anyway. For me I am looking for a type of person. Someone who matches up with me on a fundamental level. If we don't match on a fundamental level then I don't believe either of us will be happy. The end result will be stress and conflict and untimately the end of the relationship will come. I also haven't mentioned sex. Maybe I am just getting old, but this doesn't seem to be as important to me as it might have been when I was young. Sex from what I have read was inteneded to be a bond between a man and a woman. Between husband and wife. I base this on what I have seen in my bible studies. If the relationship is what it should be then I believe sex would be great. Now, if the only reason for me to have a woman in my life is sex then I am good with being single the rest of my life.


For now, I have convinced myself that dating is the world's biggest waste of time. I am single and no longer miserable. I was completely miserable married. I under no circumstances want to go back to being miserable. My sisister is currently dating and some of the things she has told me is downright appling. Some of the things I have read and equally apppling. For those out there in the dating world. I wish you the best of luck!

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Yeah... I am not a prude, but I just don't understand why before a guy ever even meets a girl he would be telling her his favorite postition in bed. It's disgusting and gets you a vito in my book pretty quick. I guess though one has to go through a million baskets of wrotten apples to find the good one. I personally think it will be worth it, but I am definately tired of the jerk parade that has gone past my door and every time I set a date with one of these guys I think I have potential he goes there... I even went out with a jerk a couple of months ago that accused me of checking guys out. I wasn't, didn't even know one guy I was accused of looking at was in the room where we were. He was insecure. Can you imagine what life with him would be like. Sigh.. guys I know there are some good ones out there.. I don't know where the heck u are but I know you're out there.. (uh yes my brother is a good catch ladies, but he's my brother). As for sex, if you care about the other person you can learn to do what they need. It's not rocket science. Just my opinion.

ida said...

its taken me over a year to even look the other way at a man. BUT, you said everything right. i just want peace and harmony. heck, i would even join you on a train chase. its not about the chase. its about spending time laughing together. but, and this is the big but. i cant ask you out. or even try to. right now i got someone to completly finish growing up. and i think i will be retiring out of indianapolis. so i cant ask out someone that make me turn my head and say really. where the hell have you been? or have i just been too busy with life to see you? lol take care ritchie. i know there is someone out there for you. as for me? lol, i've givin up.

Ritchie said...

Ida, thanks! I haven't totally figured out what I want to do with the rest of my life. For me to have a chance to find someone I figure I would need to loose 30-35 pounds and then it is still very iffy. I dont' exactly look like Tom Cruse or Brad Pitt.

Sometimes I think I want to try again and sometimes I don't. You currently have someone there each day who you can talk to until they find someone and move away or just move away to be on their own. For the next three weeks I will have my kids here, then it goes back to just me. Going to work and coming home. I live for my weekend when I get the kids. If I do go out and do something most of the time it is just me.

There is an up side to being just me and that is I don't have to argue about what I do. I don't have to talk with someone about it before I go do it. I also don't have someone feeling like I am negelcting them because I went and did something without them. Don't have to fight about it when I get back. I don't see why it would be a problem for me to go out once in a while on my own if there is trust in the relationship. I also don't see why if I had a woman in my life it would be a problem for them to go out with girl friends once in a while with out me.

My dad says I would be better off if I found the right person for me. Some respects I say yes and some respects I say no. Take care!

ida said...

dont think i'm all skin and bones eithor ritchie. lol i'm far from the size 8 before i went in the military or even the size 14 i pretty much wore most of the time in high school. i dont think about losing 30 pounds or so to date anymore. i'm just working on losing the weight becouse i kinda enjoy the higher fashion area of walmart.....lol,lol....high fashion walmart...............and this came from a girl that loved dillards when i got my first job. whew. well, i've seen the world for the most part, i've pretty much had my own family to raise. and i'm at a point that i'm ready for retirement. so.... if you ever want to run away and perhaps retire in northern california or even here in indiana i've got a good health plan that will cover my spouse after a certrain age in the va healthcare system. lol why northern california you say? well right now i dont have much family and i hardly get to see my real friends so whats another couple thousand miles. besides we all need dreams ritchie. dreams are what tomorrows are. if i dont end up retiring there i want to go there and just feel the breeze of the ocean and look at the snowy mountains the next week. take a 2 week trip to the woods.

Ritchie said...

lol, high fasion and Walmart that is funny!! I just bought some new tennis shoes at Walmart today the Dr. Scholes brand. I just had to get rid of all my shoes I had. I guess from what the guy at the shoe store says your feet are the one thing that continues to grow. I went from a size 9 1/2 in high school to now I wear and 11. My right foot continues to flatten out as I walk more and more on it.

As for moving away I can't do that. My kids are young and they are here. Unless I have to leave for work I will be staying put in sunny Fort Wayne. I had hoped my ex was going to move the kids back to Fort Wayne after school was out, but she stayed in Decatur. It would have been nice to have had them closer.

As for retirement I figure what ever job I am working I will just slump over and that will be it. I will most likely die at my post. The way it is going I will not be able to retire.

ida said...

my retirement i agree will be very creative. that is why i am trying to pay back my military time once that is paid off i will have about 23 years for retirement at this posting today. now that "dream apartment" in california (if i really do it?) will probley a hud type of situtation for seniors. it is senior housing that is 30percent of your income. very affordable houseing. not many people know of it. but i had 2 great aunts (one was my grandmother, but that is ANOTHER story) that did it. aunt/grandma told me a big hint that her apartment in mishawaka was based on her income and it was pretty darn nice. then of course i will be using the va for my health care. i figure i will have all day to sit around and wait. just take a book and chill. or talk to the other people about our youth...lol more then likely i will not be more then 100 miles from my child. and i fully understand that your not going out of ft wayne anytime soon. if you wanted to you wont be the man i think you are. now that would suck if you did move.
i was in such a big hurry to move out of indiana back in the day and it really didnt get me anywhere special in life but to move back to indiana. i've learned from the first part of my life. haste makes waste. so i'm not running anytime soon to n. calf. :) i've missed out on certian things in life that you cant do a redue. a good marriage. more then one kid. i stayed at one becouse i felt it was the right thing. i missed out on alot of my family. not to say that we would not be in the same situtation of not speaking. but, if i had stayed around who knows. but, i chose to take the road less traveled in many parts of my life and i have no regrets. just enough knowlege to see my life could have went in many directions. in the end, i'm very happy i had my child. it slowed me down and kept me out of war zones, or perhaps bigger citys where big buildings fall. i'm always around if you need a buddy to talk to.

Ritchie said...

My kids are my number one priority. That is why I haven't really considered dating at this point. Not sure how they would react to it and I basically can't move away from gold old summy Fort Wayne.